Palembang Port Branch otherwise known as Boom Baru was built by the Dutch Colonial Government and replaced Sungai Rendang Port in 1924. The port is situated between two estuary tributaries of the Musi river, which is Lawang Kidul River and Belabak River. At that time, Boom Baru has a dock with a length of about 250 meters. In addition to the dock, in this place there was also a Office or Customs with floating position.
Today, Palembang Port is the largest river port in Sumatera and a foundation of the lifeblood of economic growth in the province of South Sumatera. Loading and unloading activities are dominated by dry bulk goods and containers, in addition to other forms of packaging. Palembang Port has a huge potential sub-port for cooperation and open investment, namely Sungai Lais port, supported by a wide area for the processing industry activities. In anticipation of the increased flow of commodities in the future, this port has had a container terminal equipped with a range of modern equipment that assist ships and goods service.